Type of investment
- Rio de Janeiro
Estimated investment (R$ million)
Grant (R$ million)
** Grant amount not yet disclosed.
The project includes the concession of Water Distribution, Sewage Collection and Treatment and Commercial Management services to users in 64 municipalities of the state of Rio de Janeiro, serving 13.7 million people, which corresponds to 85% of the state's population.
The state of Rio de Janeiro was divided into four blocks, each containing municipalities both within and outside the Metropolitan Region of the city of Rio de Janeiro (MR). The municipality of Rio de Janeiro was divided into 4 regions, each part of a concession block. Each region covers one or more Planning Areas (APs), which are administrative divisions of the city of Rio de Janeiro.
The blocks are defined as follows:
- Block 1: AP 2.1 + 40 municipalities (blue in the figure
- Block 2: AP 4 + 7 municipalities (orange in the figure)
- Block 3: AP 5 + 8 municipalities (red in the figure)
- Block 4: AP 1, 2.2 and 3 + 8 municipalities (purple in the figure)
CEDAE, the state-owned company that currently provides all services, will remain responsible for the collection, treatment and supply of raw water for the private operator in 13 municipalities of the MR, maintaining the operation of the major systems: Guandu, Imunana-Laranjal, Lajes and Acari. The private operator will also be responsible for water treatment In the remaining 51 municipalities.
The goals of universal coverage, to be met by the private operator, are
- Water: from 87% to 99% of the population between the eighth and the fourteenth year, depending on the municipality.
- Sewage: from 44% to 90% of the population between the fifteenth and the twentieth year, depending on the municipality.
- Water and sewage tariff
- Highest grant
Total population within the scope of the project: 13,739,036
|technical studies||1Q 2019||completed|
|public hearing||2Q 2020||completed|
|approval of audit courts||3Q 2020||to be carried out|
|tender documents||4Q 2020||to be carried out|
|auction||1Q 2021||to be carried out|
|contract||2Q 2021||to be carried out|